What is the NILS?
The NO INTEREST LOAN SCHEME (NILS) provides individuals and families on a low income access to safe, fair and affordable credit.
Maximum loan amounts may vary, but credit can start from $300 up to $1200 for essential goods and services. Once your application is approved, repayments are set up at an affordable amount over a 12 to 18 months period.
With NILS, no credit checks are made as this is a program based on trust and respect.
What are the loans for?
Loans are generally available for the purchase of essential goods and services.
These may include:
• Household items like fridges, freezers, washing machines, stoves, clothes dryers and some furniture
• Some medical and dental services
• Educational essentials such as computers and text books
• Some other items as requested.
Do I qualify for NILS?
Programs are run by local community organisations at over 600 locations across Australia.
To qualify you must:
• Have a Health Care Card/Pension Card or be on a low income
• Reside in your current premises for more than 3 months
• Show a willingness and capacity to repay.
*In certain circumstances, the community organisation may consider amending the eligibility criteria upon loan application.
How NILS works in your community
With manageable repayments and a respectful assessment process conducted by an accredited NILS provider, NILS works through a process of circular community credit. When a borrower makes a repayment to NILS, funds are then available to someone else in the community.
Call 13 NILS (13 64 57) or find your local provider.